File thumbnails - Automated thumbnail generationLast updated: 14 September 2022
With Joomlatools Connect every uploaded file will get a beautiful thumbnail. Thumbnail generation is supported in DOCman (from version 3.0 onwards), FILEman (from version 3.1 onwards), and TEXTman (from version 3.1 onwards).
Note: Automated thumbnail generation will only work on a public website, not on a localhost installation. This is because we need to reach your Joomla site to deliver the results. Please refer to our Getting started guide for more information.
We support over 20 different file types:
- Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF)
- Image files (JPEG, PNG, GIF, TIFF, BMP & RAW)
- Microsoft Office (DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, PPT & PPTX)
- Open Document Format (ODT, ODS, ODP, ODG & ODC)
- Text files (TXT, RTF, TSV & TAB)
- Video files (OGV, FLV, MP4, MOV, AVI, WEBM, MPG, MPEG & MKV)
Thumbnails will be generated on our servers and automatically copied to your website. It will only take a few seconds.
Since DOCman 3.1 you can now also generate thumbnails for existing documents with Joomlatools Connect. You can trigger the generation of a document thumbnail manually through the administrator.
- Log in to your site's Administrator interface
- Go to Components > DOCman > Documents
- Click on and open the document you want to generate a thumbnail for
- In the Featured image panel click on the Generate automatically button
- Click the Save button
- Joomlatools Connect will run and display a message informing you that the Document scan is running for thumbnail generation and content indexing:
- Once the document thumbnail has been generated and the document has been indexed the Featured Image and Index panels will be updated.:
If you have lots of existing documents that you would like to generate thumbnails for after installing Joomlatools Connect then you can trigger the batch scanning feature by visiting the following URL in your browser:
Please see: Getting started with Connect